[asterisk-users] network config

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Tue Dec 8 13:46:50 CST 2009

Hi David,

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009, David Gibbons wrote:

> <snip>
> A client has two offices in the Virgin Islands that MUST maintain data
> connectivity, and there are no available "leased line" options to run
> a P2P link between them.
> <snip>
> Is there line of sight? I've been wanting to do a long-shot wifi link and my company would give it a shot if you want :).

Sadly no, because cruise ships park (dock?) directly in front of one the
locations, which is directly between them.  Worse high intensity radar
blasts seem to give any kind of wireless signal we have attempted lots of
trouble.  If it weren't for the ships, this would work well I think, but
as its happens the ships are the source of the client's revenue!

<snip>

>> And finally - is there a device that will manage the tunnel such that a
>> high water mark of latency will also cause the tunnel to switch to the
>> other link, rather than actual packet loss?
> See above. Fail-over routers have to wait some criteria are met in order
> to fail over (ping latency, ping loss, etc). This means that the
> connection you're using as the 'default' WILL go 'down' BEFORE it
> switches to the other one, regardless of the criteria used.

Hmm, an excellent point.  I suppose some amount of tweaking might cause
the "switch" to happen before asterisk or the endpoint decides that the
call is lost?  Are these SIP timers that we might play with?  Some amount
of silent interruption might be tolerated during a switch, but a lost call
is hard to accept.

> Another plan would be to set up two routers at the site with two
> separate VPN tunnels across the two different links, both tunnels being
> always on. You could then use a SIP proxy or iptables magic to choose
> which tunnel was the best at any given time.

Hmm, another good thought.  Now its getting complicated :)

> I would go for the wifi. Maybe because I want to do a long-shot link.
> Also because I want to go to the virgin islands :).

Heh.  Come on down!  Water is fine...