[asterisk-users] Echo issue

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 09:37:28 CST 2009

Hi -

> I am having echo issues on our Asterisk box using a PRI circuit.  I was
> using the software echo cancellation and that helped a bit but didn't solve
> it completely.  So I went and bought a Digium echo cancellation module for
> the TE121 card.  That made it even worst, getting more echo on external
> calls and between internal extension to extension.  The echo doesn't happen
> all the time, but enough to get complaints from our users.
>
> Completely fed up with the issue, I removed the module from the card.  Can
> someone guide me on how to fix/tune/address the echo issues.

You can likely eliminate most echo on a PRI by setting txgain and rxgain.

Are you using dahdi or zaptel?  If Dahdi, what do your system.conf and
chan_dahdi.conf look like?  If zaptel, what do your zaptel.conf and
zapata.conf look like?

When you say you have echo on calls that are internal extension to
internal extension, are the endpoints using dahdi/zaptel or some voip
technology (sip, iax, mgcp, skinny, etc)?  If voip, any echo is
acoustically generated by the endpoints themselves.  On voip calls
I've often had this happen when the endpoints are using headsets, or
have gain levels set very high.

- Noah