[asterisk-users] Please some enlightment on ENUM !!

Raimund Sacherer rs at runsolutions.com
Tue Dec 1 11:44:29 CST 2009

> Adding random digits to a PSTN and expecting to get the same person at a
> different extension....  you don't think that's a hack? I do. One should

Sorry, please do not call a whole country using a hack when their solution is
legitimate.

Austrian PSTN
https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-1343

Excerpt:
Dialplan
The Austrian dialplan is a variable length numbering plan, which consists of area codes and subscribers numbers. Area Codes are from 1 to 4 digits in length, subscriber numbers vary even more. Some Numbers (mostly used by companies) allow the use of Direct Inward Dial Extension. If such a number is used, it is up to the company to decide on the length of extensions, meaning that any length can be used.If too long extensions are used, the numbers might not be reachable from some sources. This is especially relevant with regard to number presentation inside of isdn, as stated under "Voice Interfaces and signalling".

A copy of the Austrian dialplan is maintained by the austrian regulatory council at http://www.rtr.at/en/tk/nationaleRufnummern.

The emphasis on "variable length numbering", if you consider that austria is a small country which is physically not able to harbor more than 16 million peoples in a sane way, the numbering plan is more then sufficient, austria is not like germany with > then 88 million inhabitants which needed a reconfiguration of their numbering plan some years ago.

my 2cents

Raimund
Raimund Sacherer
-
RunSolutions
     Open Source It Consulting
-
Email: rs at runsolutions.com

Parc Bit - Centro Empresarial Son Espanyol
Edificio Estel - Local 3D
07121 -  Palma de Mallorca
Baleares