[asterisk-users] Please some enlightment on ENUM !!

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Tue Dec 1 08:42:27 CST 2009

Benny Amorsen wrote:
> SIP <sip at arcdiv.com> writes:
>

>> It may work in Austria, and may even be valid in Austria. But if that's
>> the case, it's because Austrian dialing is a complete hack -- NOT
>> because that's the way it's intended OR designed.
>>

> Err no? It's perfectly sane, and it was intended and designed that way.
>
> You are providing no justification at all for your opinion that it is a
> hack. It is quite apparent where the "hack" is in this thread.
>

> /Benny

Adding random digits to a PSTN and expecting to get the same person at a
different extension....  you don't think that's a hack? I do. One should
generally assume that my posts are my opinion, which really doesn't need
any more justification than "I think so."   If I have to start putting
legal disclaimers at the bottom of my posts stating "everything in this
post is considered the opinion of the poster and should not be presumed
to be the opinion of anyone else" just to make sure that's understood,
I'll be happy to do so, but it will be both silly and pointless.

An ENUM number is a mapping of an E164 number to a service. If, in
Austria, you 'own' all numbers that are your PSTN number plus any string
of random digits, that's great... but it doesn't work that way in most
of the rest of the world (I'd wager ALL of the rest of the world, but
that's based again on supposition without accompanying hard data and
spreadsheets and pie charts), and if the incumbent telecoms in the world
thought people would use that methodology to cheat them out of money for
additonal DIDs, they'd clamp down on it in a hurry.

But regardless of how they do things in Austria, the fact remains that
the original poster was asking a question about how to configure ENUM so
that his phone extensions reached his correct targets. The suggestion by
the registrar was only to register the main number. Suggestions by
myself and some others were to register the main number and any other
numbers. It was never stated that this was a limited subset country in
which dialing codes are relaxed and non-standard, and so the information
provided was, perhaps, not acceptable for the use case given the data
provided. For making assumptions based on limited information, I apologise.

But for thinking that such a dialing system is a distortion of the ENUM
concept? I don't apologise one bit.

And if you choose to go above 15 digits, you're violating not just ENUM,
but the E in ENUM, since an E164 number is limited to 15 digits.

N.

"The opinions written herein are the sole opinions of the poster of this
email and should not be construed to be the opinions of anyone else
mentioned here, even though there wasn't anyone else mentioned here to
whose these opinions could be ascribed. This email and all its contents
are considered private and only shared by the consent of the original
poster. If this email was delivered to any unintended recipients, please
delete the email and all records from any email servers it passed
through. Also be sure to take the necessary alcohol, recreational drugs,
or lobotomies required to remove all knowledge and memory of this
email's contents."