[asterisk-users] Please some enlightment on ENUM !!

Leif Neland leifn at neland.dk
Tue Dec 1 06:32:56 CST 2009

Philipp Kempgen wrote:
> Leif Neland schrieb:
>
>> Norbert Zawodsky skrev:
>>

>>> The number +43-1-3207978 is my telephone number. I "own" it as long as I
>>> pay for it. And with extra digits behind it I can do whatever I like. I
>>> can create any extension - physical or virtual. I can attach a phone to
>>> extension 12, attach a virtual fax server for extension 12 to extension
>>> 99912 or could fire up my toaster if I call extension 911.  I can invent
>>> any numbering scheme for my company. That's a fact!  Again - At least
>>> here in Austria !! (can't speak for other countries)
>>>
>> Invent all you want, nobody can call those fantasy-numbers anyway.
>> Perhaps, a fraction of a percent, who are using ENUM.
>>

> Leif, ever heard of direct inward dialing and PRI?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_inward_dialing
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_rate_interface
> You can actually own a block of numbers like 01234567xxxx.
> You are free to map these xxxx DID numbers to extensions or do
> what ever you like. And it is guaranteed that nothing in the
> 01234567... range will ever be assigned to a different PSTN
> subscriber.

Ok ok, I may have been too harsh...

Here in Denmark, when you have the number 12345678, that's it, you don't
get 12345678xxxxxxx
That it's different in OP's country Austria, I didn't know.
In that case, it makes perfectly sense to subdelegate enum, although
perhaps it should just be a wildcard, so every number in the
12345678-domain goes to the same "entrypoint" just as a pstn-call does.
Otherwise it could be confusing that when extension 10 changes physical
sip-adress, you also have to remember to change the enum.
Even more, enum-ing a number directly to a sip-phone sounds impractical.

I know about blocks. When 3 major banks in Denmark joined in the end of
last century, they got the block 3333xxxx with 33333333 being their main
number, and the xxxx'es for extensions.

Leif