[asterisk-users] * 1.4 -> 1.6, zaptel -> dahdi

Benny Amorsen benny+usenet at amorsen.dk
Thu Aug 20 16:29:34 CDT 2009

Steve Edwards <asterisk.org at sedwards.com> writes:

> I used to be a "use the source Luke" kind of guy. Now I'm a yum-aholic.
>
> But, when the pain of using packages exceeds the hassle of the source,
> I'll use the source without hesitation.

It isn't that hard to make your own Asterisk RPM's. It's slightly harder
to make your own DAHDI RPM's, because they're kernel version dependent.
Unfortunately Digium has decided to not try to get DAHDI into the
official kernel.

Oh well, soon my need for ISDN will be gone, and then I can wave goodbye
to DAHDI. Once that is done I'll never again use a driver which isn't at
least on the way upstream. If I need ISDN again I'll just buy a random
PRI <=> SIP gateway.

/Benny