[asterisk-users] * 1.4 -> 1.6, zaptel -> dahdi

Ira ira at extrasensory.com
Wed Aug 19 17:01:55 CDT 2009

At 02:27 PM 8/19/2009, you wrote:
>Not at all. I'm just saying if the available packages are "doing it" for
>you, compiling the source is pretty trivial. If the packages "catch up"
>with F11 you can always install them then.

My first experience with Linux and Asterisk was putting a whatever
TrixBox was before it was TrixBox disk in a machine and saying
install About 3 weeks later I removed all the TrixBox and I've been
installing Asterisk from source ever since, including a clean install
on a fresh Atom machine when I started with CentOS 5 and then
compiled 1.6.2 and Dahdi, moved all my configuration and other
necessary files across and 2 days later after figuring all the
updates needed in extensions.conf  and sip.conf it was all working
better than ever. Would have taken much less time if I was more
careful reading the update docs and not mis-spelling something in a
couple of places. The PBX was down for about 15 minutes while I moved
the wires and TDM400 between machines and then it was up again.

All that just to say, as far as I can tell working with source is no
harder than anything else. Wget into a folder, tar to unpack it,
make, then make install, then reboot or just restart gracefully for
Asterisk only changes. The only occasional gotcha is when Yum updates
the kernel you have to remake Dahdi or it won't work after a reboot.

And everything I know about Linux fits on some notes on half a sheet of paper.

Ira