[asterisk-users] Newbie: How to copy track from CD for MOH without getting "Junk at beginning of frame ..."

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Aug 19 20:11:08 CDT 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Lee, John (Sydney) wrote:

>> Convert the file to the native codec(s) in which it will be played.
>>
> Alex, could you please elaborate on this?  I am no audio guy.
> On Media player, I can rip it into mp3 or wav or windows media audio.
> Which one should I use?

Neither.

If your channels use gsm|ulaw|g729|whatever, encode your sound files
(prompts, music on hold, everything) in that format.

If you have your sound files encoded with the same codec as the codec your
channels are using, Asterisk does not need to transcode so the "cost" is
minimized.

The "workflow" is to rip the cd to disk and then encode to the desired
encodings.

cdparanoia is a great ripper. cdda2wav is also common.

sox is probably the most commonly used tool for encoding.

--
Thanks in advance,