[asterisk-users] * 1.4 -> 1.6, zaptel -> dahdi

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Wed Aug 19 11:42:06 CDT 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 09:56:38AM -0600, Greg Woods wrote:
> This has got to be an FAQ, so if someone can point me to where it is
> answered, I would be greatly appreciated. The documentation for all this
> stuff is scattered and (to me at least) either very sketchy or hard to
> find.
>
> What I want is a guide for how to convert from 1.4 with zaptel to 1.6
> with dahdi. All the recent kernel vulnerabilities are forcing me to
> upgrade my home server from no-longer-supported Fedora 8 up to Fedora
> 11, and that means upgrading asterisk as well.
>
> It appears that, although the dahdi-tools package is part of Fedora 11,
> the kernel modules are not. I couldn't get the dahdi tools such as
> dahdi_scan to work at all until I installed the dahdi-kmdl package from
> ATrpms. Does that match others' experiences?

I just finished a transition from the old ATrpms setup for asterisk to
a new one that allows you to use asterisk 1.4 on F11 w/o fear of
asterisk 1.6 overwriting it. It's not what I recommend, one should try
to move to 1.6, but upgrading both the underlying OS and the
asterisk/dahdi/zaptel framework can be seperated that way. For
RHEL/CentOS/Scientific Linux there will even be asterisk12/zaptel12
support, and there are shiny new 1.6 packages there as well.

ATM there are no userland bits to download at ATrpms at all, as I'm
trying to move the fax application out of the asterisk14 rpm to using
agx-ast-addons instead, but I'll release the packages and make an
announcement about it soon. If you feel like a guinea pig, you can
contact me off list or on ATrpms-devel to help testing.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net