[asterisk-users] Multi operator platform Asterisk {manage}

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Tue Aug 18 23:30:04 CDT 2009

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, ABBAS SHAKEEL wrote:

> Please let me know. If we need to configure Asterisk for multi operator
> platform (You can consider it as four or five asterisk servers are
> placed at different geological locations)
>
> Suppose if need a change in logic of call flow . Then we need to upgrade
> all the servers manually ... this is very tedious and error prone
> process.

Actually, it can be quite simple and maintainable.

I use rsync to maintain my configuration, source, script, crontab and
sound files across several servers in separate geographic location. The
files are distributed to a directory tree that mirrors my development
system.

I use preprocessor.pl from the Mozilla project to customize configuration,
script and crontab files. The customization process inserts database
credentials and manages host specific differences.

I invoke this process using "make rsync" to distribute the files and then
"make config" to customize the files and move them to the correct
locations with the correct ownership and permissions.

This way, I can manage everything from one location with a minimum of
duplication, distribute large and slow updates without affecting
production then roll the update out quickly.

I like the "autonomy" of this system. While some systems depend on MySQL
databases local to their datacenter, no system is dependent on any
resource outside of its datacenter.

Periodically, the "reporting database server" sucks CDRs and other data
out of the remote "production database servers" so reporting reflects
activity of all of the servers.

--
Thanks in advance,