[asterisk-users] Skype for Asterisk -- Codec support

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Aug 18 17:03:28 CDT 2009

Karl Fife wrote:

> To some degree, I (and I'm sure other wideband disciples), feel somewhat
> like the only guy on the block with a fax machine.  Per Metcalfe's law it
> seemed that Skype (as a easily accessible namespace supporting wideband)
> could have been a shot in the arm for >8khz telephony.
>
> I know that wideband SFA was originally on the roadmap.  Has it been
> silently deleted, or is it going to be released in some next-generation SFA?

It will appear in a release in the future, but did not make the cut for
the first release. Part of the reason for that is that Skype themselves
have just begun switching to a new wideband codec, and it did not make
sense to incorporate support for the old one in a brand new product...
but the new one is not ready for use yet either. We'll get there :-)

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming at digium.com