[asterisk-users] Skype for Asterisk -- Codec support

Karl Fife karlfife at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 16:44:58 CDT 2009

Snipped from:
http://store.digium.com/productview.php?product_code=1SFA0001
>>Supports G.711 and G.729 (included) codec's

Do I understand correctly that my SFA-to-Skype calls would be throttled down
to 8khz even if not traversing the PSTN?

My biggest draw to SFA is 440+ million subscribers in a NAMESPACE supporting
a WIDEBAND codec.

To some degree, I (and I'm sure other wideband disciples), feel somewhat
like the only guy on the block with a fax machine.  Per Metcalfe's law it
seemed that Skype (as a easily accessible namespace supporting wideband)
could have been a shot in the arm for >8khz telephony.

I know that wideband SFA was originally on the roadmap.  Has it been
silently deleted, or is it going to be released in some next-generation SFA?

-Karl Fife