[asterisk-users] Platform decision ...

Moises Silva moises.silva at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 15:31:22 CDT 2009

> possibly very simple needs, but that doesn't make it very complete
> documentation.

Which nobody has stated it is. Just means for your needs (which you have
never stated nor pointed to particular missing chunks of documentation for
what you intended to do) was far from fulfilling your expectations.

> I'm not introducing FUD by stating my opinion about the lack of
> documentation, Moises. You're sounding incredibly defensive. Why?

I though I made it clear. Your comment sounded to me like FUD, since you
give an opinion without pointing to particular instances of your claims,
saying "wholly incomplete documentation" sounds extreme (which is typical
when trying to introduce FUD). So, is just you sounded like that to me, if
you are not trying to do so, then don't get it personal, isn't the point
here, for me anyways.

IRC answers from people hanging around is not documentation. It's what
> open-source developers like to think of, sometimes, as a 'complete'
> solution, but it doesn't even come close.

Again, never stated IRC was documentation, and was rather introduced as way
of saying, what you cannot find on the wiki, you can find it on IRC, because
is for sure there are things that are not on the wiki, even for more used
technologies like Asterisk.

documentation. Which is lacking. This is not FUD. This is not me saying
> "Don't touch FreeSWITCH."   This is me saying that, if you're looking
> for a product with good docs to make an easy transition from traditional
> PBX tech to new, or even an easy transition from Asterisk to something
> else, you will not find them with FS.

That is at least a bit better than your first post, re-read your first post
again, you never even mentioned transition from Asterisk nor whether you
wanted a PBX. Even when Asterisk is sometimes seen as a PBX, can be used as
a pstn gw or something else, so, as I said, you never mentioned what you
wanted to do nor when did you try (as projects evolve, your statements may
no longer be true). In short, the only piece of relevant information I was
able to take from your initial post was "documentation is crap and no useful
applications exist", for me, that sounds a lot like FUD. But hey, that's
just me, I'm sure others will learn something from your post, I just felt
the need to give my opinion as you did.

 I'm sorry you're offended by my opinions, but in your words, 'I defy

> you' to show me some comprehensive FreeSWITCH docs.  Heck, even SER has
> more comprehensive documentation, and that's saying a LOT.

No offense taken ;-), hope is the same for you. Again, our perspective of
what "comprehensive" documentation is differs, needs improvement for sure
though.

--
Moises Silva
Software Developer