[asterisk-users] Skype for Asterisk???

Geoff Lane geoff at gjctech.co.uk
Tue Aug 18 04:41:16 CDT 2009

On Tuesday, August 18, 2009, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> I was under the impression that Three (who I guess you're using)
> placed a  regular call over their network then "Skyped" it at their
> HQ - rather than  have the Skype client actually reside in the
> handset.. (And I'm suspecting  their 3G limitation is that they want
> to use their own 3G network rather  than pay Orange for the call
> over their 2G network)

I am using Three. At first I got two Three S1 Skypephones and was
allegedly one of the first business customers to take up those phones.
One handset was replaced under warranty for a basic Nokia (can't
remember the model number) that offered Bluetooth and could run the
Skype application.

In both cases, AIUI you run the Skype client on your handset, which
uses 3G/HSDPA data bandwidth to connect to Skype via a NAT router in
Three's network.

FWIW and IMO the S1 is rubbish. However some tell me that the S1 is
part of the problem I have using Skype and that the S2 is considerably
better.

--
Geoff