[asterisk-users] Skype for Asterisk???

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Aug 18 04:20:04 CDT 2009

On Tue, 18 Aug 2009, Geoff Lane wrote:

> On Tuesday, August 18, 2009, Remco Barendse wrote:
>
>> But then again, who needs Skype for business purposes anyways, i
>> don't  think there is a huge market for it.
>
> Me ... at least in theory! Our cellphones have built-in Skype, so a
> Skype gateway should give me call forwarding and diversion to our
> cellphones free of charge.
>
> So far Skype as implemented on our mobiles has proved too unreliable
> period for business use. It seems only available when we can get a
> 3G/HSDPA signal and even then the system regularly logs us out of
> Skype and sometimes doesn't log us back in. However, if and when my
> cellular provider get Skype sorted out on their system ...

I was under the impression that Three (who I guess you're using) placed a
regular call over their network then "Skyped" it at their HQ - rather than
have the Skype client actually reside in the handset.. (And I'm suspecting
their 3G limitation is that they want to use their own 3G network rather
than pay Orange for the call over their 2G network)

But then again, wifey's just gotten a new Three mobile (N95 - end of line,
but a cheap deal) It has built in SIP via Wi-Fi and skype, so I might have
a play with it when I can prise it out of her hands...

It does worry me that I see many so-called business people advertising
Skype numbers on their business cards, etc. To me it rings of cheapness. I
can almost always tell when someone calls me using their Skype out service
- the quality is dreadful, and I end up calling them on their
regular landline. Cheapskates who can't/won't pay for a decent Internet
service.

I'm going to ask my customers if they want to be able to call Skype
numbers, but I'd probably have to charge for it to justify the cost of the
license(s) required.

Gordon