[asterisk-users] Database Access from dialplan.

Unni unni2003 at mailup.net
Thu Aug 13 03:33:35 CDT 2009

dialplan without using AGI  ?

Background: We are using our Asterisk server to place outbound calls
alone. We've 8 E1s that enables us to place about 240 calls
concurrently. The server is a bit old, and we are not able to reach our
maximum capacity.

The dialplan makes use of MySQL to record call status information to our
external database. My understanding is that for each call, asterisk
creates a new mysql connection and tears it down when the call
terminates. We are moving in the assumption that this could be an
overhead, and by eliminating MySQL entirely, we could make more
resources available to Asterisk.

For this, we are trying to simply dump the data generated during calls
to a text file, which will be monitored by a daemon running in the
background. Our main requirement is to make the data available real time
for monitoring purposes. It seems hard to use CDR for the purpose
because we will need to monitor the status as the call progresses.

I'm also trying to avoid calling the AGI - with our server
configuration, the overhead in creating a new process for every data
update during the calls seems to be too big. Would the AGI Manager
Interface be efficient enough? We are trying to go for a dialplan only
config with extras.

If my assumptions are incorrect, please advise. I'm a relatively newbie
and it has been about two weeks since I first heard of Asterisk :)

Thanks for your time.
--
  Unni
  unni2003 at mailup.net