[asterisk-users] Creating an IAX/SIP-to-ISDN PRI gateway

Dave Fullerton dfullertasterisk at shorelinecontainer.com
Wed Aug 12 15:20:11 CDT 2009

Shashi Dookhee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to setup a really lean Asterisk installation that essentially has a full ISDN PRI (AT&T, T1, 23 B-chans, 1 D-chan, BZ8S, 5ESS, National dialplan) on a Digium TE207P adapter that all it does is convert the ISDN channels to SIP/IAX channels.  Then I would add this Asterisk 'gateway' as a provider on one (or many) Asterisk systems on the back.
>
> With such a config I don't need anything like Voicemails, mailboxes, etc...  All I want it to do is accept calls and 'passthru' the caller ID, and when it receives a call, send it to the appropriate Asterisk server based on Called ID (and, of course, passthru that 'Called ID' too).
>
> Any help is appreciated - the Asterisk config files are overwhelming and we need to get this done pretty quickly!
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!

Not exactly sure what information you're asking for, but here's a
starting point.

You'll need the latest DAHDI, libpri and asterisk (I'd grab 1.4.26.1
myself). Compile and install each in turn.

As for configuration files, you should only need to worry about the
following:

/etc/dahdi/system.conf (this will get you started)

  # define spans
  span=1,0,0,esf,b8zs
  bchan=1-23
  dchan=24
  # Global Options
  loadzone=us
  defaultzone=us

in /etc/asterisk:
You can either "make samples" to install all sample files or you can
copy the sample files from /usr/src/asterisk-1.4.26.1/configs/
  (or wherever you extracted asterisk from).

asterisk.conf (use the sample and tweak if needed)

chan_dahdi.conf should look something like this:

  [channels]
  context=inbound-pri
  switchtype=national
  pridialplan=unknown
  resetinterval=never
  signalling=pri_cpe
  group=1
  channel=>1-24

extensions.conf (you'll find plenty of examples online)
iax.conf (start with sample config and tweak to your liking)
sip.conf (again, start with sample and tweak)
logger.conf (sample will work)
modules.conf (start with sample)
indications.conf (use the sample)

Good Luck