[asterisk-users] sip.conf parameter and sip msg between server <-> client

harry R rhm.noa101 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 03:51:34 CDT 2009

> > - what's the difference between a subscribe request et a register
> > request ?
>
> A subscription in the SIP protocol is saying "Hey, I'd like to be
> notified when something happens."  This is most often used when a phone
> wants to subscribe to the state of another extension, or to the status
> of a voicemail box.
>
> A registration is where one SIP device tells another "Hey, I'm over
> here.  If you get any calls for me, send them to me at this IP address
> and port."
>

> --
> Jared Smith
> Training Manager
> Digium, Inc.

Hi Jared

Thx for your explanation.
So in sip.conf if I set allowsubscribe to no in [general] section that will
mean by default all my device I will declare will no be able to receive
SUBSCRIPTION msg ? Except if I declare allowsubscribe for one of them...

now I have a better understanding of what a subscription is, these questions
are coming about some parameter in sip.conf :
- 'notifyringing' set to 'yes' will send "sorry but I'm already on call" to
any device when my device named "john" is already in use ? Is it an issue to
limit incoming/outgoing call for a device ?
- 'callcounter' is it an issue to limit incoming/outgoing call for a device
?
- I read that 'call-limit' or 'busylevel' (in asterisk 1.6) is an issue to
limit incoming/outgoing call on a device. Is it true ? Can I use them
together or do I have to use just one ?

Regards

Harry