[asterisk-users] Server linux requirements

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 02:46:53 CDT 2009

On 04/08/09 23:57, Miguel Molina wrote:
> Edwin Quijada escribió:
>> It depends about your traffic.
>>   But myabe and I guess Core 2Duo 4Gb ram , Sata 160Gb
>> +_
>>

> It's pretty well known that asterisk is CPU intensive, not RAM
> intensive. It think 4GB is much more than enough. BTW, if your asterisk
> is consuming more than 150-200MB of RAM and growing... suspect of memory
> leaks. I once read on this list than seeing 500MB of memory usage for an
> asterisk instance is *huge*.

Huh?

CPU load is generally down to things like transcoding... If you are
switching just G.711 (a/ulaw) then CPU load is negligible in my experience.

We've seen Asterisk systems for tens of users that run on tiny embedded
processors or the low power VIA C7 type CPUs.

I think it is more important to determine what level of reliability you
need and engineer your server(s) around that. If you want "Five 9s"
you'll need to buy the right hardware and probably duplicate it.

Alan