[asterisk-users] Message Waiting Indicator on DAHDI line

Mike asterisk-users at norgie.net
Tue Aug 4 17:31:23 CDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 03:35:22PM -0500, Doug Bailey wrote:

> This code is designed to handle Message Waiting Indication (MWI) incoming on FXO
> line.  This data could very well be embedded in your CID spill as part of an
> MDMF message that also contains the caller id information.  (See main/callerid.c
> in the callerid_feed function.)
>
> If your incoming line has a mailbox associated with it, the MWI information will
> be pushed to that mailbox.  You may want to look at how your mailboxes are defined
> and the channels to which they are associated.
>
> Doug

Doug,

Thanks, that pointed me in the right direction.  I found the problem in
chan_dadhi.conf, I just don't totally understand it.

signalling=fxo_ks
echocancel=yes
pulsedial=yes
;group=1
channel=1
;mailbox=3203

signalling=fxs_ks
;group=1
usecallerid=no
faxdetect=none
signalling=fxs_ks
rxgain=4
txgain=4
;callerid=1234
channel=3

signalling=fxs_ks
;callerid=1234
echocancel=yes
;group=2
channel=4

Forgive the messy config, it's been a bit butchered in my efforts to get
it working.  The MWI problem was solved when I commented out the
mailbox=3203 for chan 1.  This is a phone that is dailed, along with the
SIP phone, when the FXO lines ring.  The SIP phone is tied against the
same mailbox in the sip.conf.

What I don't understand is, I thought the mailbox= in chan_dahdi.conf
was there to do a stutter dialtone on the FXS port when there was a
message in that mailbox?  Why should commenting it out help?

I assume that what happens is that the FXO line rings, so Asterisk rings
the FXS phone as per the extensions.conf, this creates a MWI event which
goes to the voicemail system, which then passes a MWI event to the SIP
phone (as per sip.conf)?  Or I could just be talk rubbish!

Mike.