[asterisk-users] Message Waiting Indicator on DAHDI line

Doug Bailey dbailey at digium.com
Tue Aug 4 15:35:22 CDT 2009

----- "Mike" <asterisk-users at norgie.net> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> I have recently installed Asterisk 1.6.1.1.  I have two PSTN lines
> connected to a TDM400 and two VoIP lines using SIP.  I have a CISCO
> 7940
> using SIP as my desk phone.  Calling any of the four lines should
> ring
> the desk phone.  This works fine, except that when ringing the PSTN
> lines, it activates the MWI on the 7940.  I can see this happening on
> the console:
>
> [Aug  4 16:48:47] NOTICE[2964]: chan_dahdi.c:7669 ss_thread: MWI:
> Channel 3 message waiting!
>
> Looking at the offending piece of code, it seems to suggest from the
> comment that it is getting the MWI from the CLID.
>
> /* If the CID had Message waiting payload, assume that this for MWI
> only
> and hangup the call */
> if (flags & CID_MSGWAITING) {
>   ast_log(LOG_NOTICE, "MWI: Channel %d message waiting!\n",
> p->channel);
>   notify_message(p->mailbox, 1);
>   /* If generated using Ring Pulse Alert, then ring has been answered
> as
>   a call and needs to be hungup */
>   if (p->mwimonitor_rpas) {
>      ast_hangup(chan);
>      return NULL;
>   }
> }
>
> I have set "usecallerid=no" on both interfaces and globally but I
> still
> cannot get it to stop.
>
> I have failed to turn anything up on Google regarding this.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions please?
>
> Mike.

This code is designed to handle Message Waiting Indication (MWI) incoming on FXO
line.  This data could very well be embedded in your CID spill as part of an
MDMF message that also contains the caller id information.  (See main/callerid.c
in the callerid_feed function.)

If your incoming line has a mailbox associated with it, the MWI information will
be pushed to that mailbox.  You may want to look at how your mailboxes are defined
and the channels to which they are associated.

Doug