[asterisk-users] Asterisk and 4G

Nyamul Hassan mnhassan at usa.net
Thu Apr 30 23:34:51 CDT 2009

There is a software called Fring that use directly from my Nokia E66
phone. Fring not only connects to Skype, GMail, MSN, Yahoo, but also
allows me to register to my SIP based server and make VoIP calls over
the telco's data service. In my country I pay around $15 per month for
an unlimited data plan.

The best part of all this is, Fring is free!

Regards
HASSAN

On 4/30/09, Gordon Henderson <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, Chris Kairalla wrote:
>
>> Hello, I've started to do some research into the new 4G wireless
>> standard, and there's one part of the standard that intrigues me.
>> Apparently all data is packet based, including the phone calls.  Every
>> phone will have its own IPv6 address.  This seems to pave the way for
>> a call to go directly from a cell phone to a soft PBX like Asterisk.
>
> Gosh. Telcos allowing their nice data network to let you connect your
> shiney new phone to a voice network that they don't control (or bill
> for)... Somehow I don't think that'll happen, but I'm happy to be proven
> wrong!
>
> My mobile phone currently has an ipv4 address - from RFC1918, so while I
> can use it (as a modem to my lapop) to make SIP and IAX calls, those calls
> eat away at my data allowance... Although I'm breaking the T&Cs of my
> mobile operator by making such VoIP calls anyway, so I'm sure that as soon
> as thy wise-up, they'll block it, or charge me more.
>
>> Is this possible under the 4G spec?  If so, what protocol will these
>> 4G phones use for signaling and media?  It would be a dream come true
>> for a cell phone call to go straight to Asterisk and not touch the
>> PSTN as part of the core spec of the phone, without the aid of a 3rd
>> party VOIP app.
>
> My mobile phone has a VoIP app built in - SIP. However it only uses Wi-Fi
> )-:
>
> Gordon

Sent from my mobile device