[asterisk-users] What do I need to connect landline calls without telephony hardware?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Apr 29 14:40:47 CDT 2009

On Wednesday 29 April 2009 14:14:58 don rhummy wrote:
> For some reason, I have been unable to find the answer to this online or in
> books...
>
> I want to have a "click-to-connect" feature on my website where the user
> enters their phone number and then my asterisk server calls their phone and
> my phone and connects the two calls to each other.
>
> All I have are:
>
> 1. A Server
> 2. A DSL connection
> 3. A Router and DSL Modem
> 4. A static IP
>
> What do i need to be able to do this? Can I just install asterisk and it
> will work, or do I have to pay some company for a gateway or something?
> What do i require beyond the asterisk server?

You need a provider who will allow at least 2 concurrent calls through her
gateway.  One call is to the user; the other call is to you.  The mechanism
for doing this is the Originate function.  You can originate through the CLI,
through a manager connection, or by placing a callfile in the call spool
directory.

--
Tilghman