[asterisk-users] Asterisk & EC2

Aryan Ameri info at ameri.me
Sun Apr 26 00:31:36 CDT 2009

On Sun Apr 26 2009 02:48:13 GMT+1000 (EST) Kai-Uwe Jensen <kujensen at gmail.com>
wrote:
> There's a boat-load of articles on the web with step-by-step guidance.
> The first I became aware of was
> http://ronaldlewis.com/asterisk-pbx-on-amazon-ec2-how-to-guide-almost-complete/
> , another good one is http://voxilla.com/2009/2/13/asterisk-amazon-ec2-1178
>
> Google is your friend.

Thanks. Google has not been my friend, that's why I'm asking this mailing list.

The first guide that you link to, is by a guy who obviously doesn't know why
dahdi/zaptel are important, and completely ignores it, which means, no IAX2 or
meet-me.

The second one, is built on a custom Fedora 8 image. The steps are not
repeatable on any other distro, not even a stock official Fedora 8 one. Fedora
8 itself is long EOLed and as such, not something I'd want to use on a
production server. Dahdi compilation as described on that guide doesn't work
on CentOS or Ubuntu or Debian.

Besides, I asked about anecdotal usage experiences running Asterisk on EC2.
About whether latency is an issue if extensions are outside the EC2
availability zone. About reliability of EC2 when used to host a real-time
application server. Not just an installation guideline.

It seems like no one is using Asterisk on EC2 for a production environment.

Cheers
--
Aryan Ameri