[asterisk-users] Looking for good IAX ATA

Jeff LaCoursiere jeff at jeff.net
Sat Apr 25 22:50:38 CDT 2009

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009, Steve Underwood wrote:

>>> They can't see the data due to encryption, but they can observe packets'
>>> traffic patterns, and match them to typical usage by various protocols.
>>> Bitek ( http://www.bitek.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=74&Itemid=60 )
>>> is one company that caters to state ISPs and I've heard their technology
>>> can guess if voip is being used inside encrypted tunnels.
>>>

>> Yikes!!  I just followed that link and I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
>> Big brother is finding all kind of ways to supress information flow.
>>
> This is hardly rocket science. If you find a stream of a steady 50 small
> packets per second, isn't hard to guess what the contents are. :-)

Could be YouTube videos or any other kind of streaming content that is
running through the tunnel.  In fact the more I think about this the less
I think they can be sure they know what the traffic is.  Just guessing,
really.  And if they really could distinguish the traffic (perhaps by
watching the call being setup and knowing the transactions that would be
present?), it would seem just as trivial to disguise it.  Its the next
arms race...