[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Mac OS X

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Apr 23 15:39:15 CDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Rick Dwyer wrote:

> I don't know a thing about Linux and even on the Mac, my command line
> skills are basic.  So I would really be looking for a GUI to configure
> it, regardless of platform.  I assume this is available on Linux?

There are web based interfaces available that will work with either OS.

The "pros" of the GUI approach is that the learning curve can be "flatter"
and that they impose some structure so you just "fill in the blanks."

The "cons" are that they insulate you from learning the full capabilities
of Asterisk and if your application doesn't fit in one in the "blanks"
then either you have to jump through a bunch of hoops or it can't be done.

What you've described so far sounds like 1/2 page of dialplan with maybe
an AGI thrown in to keep things simple and maintainable.

Asterisk takes very little in the way of hardware resources. I'd vote for
a sub $300 x86 box running Linux. I'm a big fan of "do 1 thing, do it
well, and move on." If this application was running on a Mac, I'm sure
somebody would want to use that cute box for all kinds of fun.

Thanks in advance,