[asterisk-users] Asterisk on Mac OS X

Niles Ingalls niles at atheos.net
Thu Apr 23 14:40:55 CDT 2009

On Apr 23, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Rick Dwyer wrote:

> Hello list.
> I posted this over on the Biz section but some of the members thought
> I might find more people running Asterisk on the Mac over here.
>
> Here's my question:
>

> I have looked at PHLink and PhoneValet and neither seem to be able to
> do what I need, so I am looking at Asterisk.
>
> What I want to do is allow callers to call a our phone line and
> unsubscribe their phone number from our call center list.  So,
> basically, when they call in, they would be greeted with a message
> something like: "please enter your 10 digit phone number followed by
> the pound sign".  They would then have the number read back to them to
> confirm it or reenter it.  Once confirmed, it would write the phone
> number to a text file for importing into MySQL or FileMaker.
>
> Is what I am trying to accomplish within the realm of what Asterisk
> can do on the Mac platform... or any platform... and if so, how
> difficult of an install is it?  I have read varying accounts from it
> being a breeze to being frustrating.

The main distinction between running Asterisk on Linux as opposed to
OSX, is that you'll
have access to hardware device drivers.  If you're going to be using a
SIP/IAX Trunk, then
you'll be just fine on OSX.  What your attempting to do falls closer
to the category of "breeze".
You can install the asterisk-addon package to handle your SQL queries
from within the dialplan,
or you can use AGI to have a perl or php script do that work.
Niles