[asterisk-users] Asterisk Capacity

z gringo z_gringo at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 23 07:50:52 CDT 2009

You don't say how many SIP registrations you are doing, but I have several servers with betwen 1000 and 1200 simultaneous registered users 24/7.   When we had the registrations in realtime (cached) with the mysql connector, everything started failing around 600 users.  With the ODBC connector we have not had that problem.  Ditto for putting the users in .conf files.  My servers all have around 300 to 400 simultaneous calls during peak periods, and I have a 1GB ramdisk for recordings.    We are only recording a tiny percentage of those calls.  MySQL is running on a separate server dedicated to Databases.  The asterisks connect to the realtime DB via a private network on a second nic.

My thoughts are these:
1.  Asterisk is not going to be able to handle much more registration traffic than around 1200 registered users. (this depends on a whole lot of things though).  Eventually, it will need to be offloaded to something like OpenSIPs
2.  Somewhere around 800 simultaneous calls is about the most asterisk is going to be able to push.
3.  Your problem is going to be the call recording.  If you are trying to record all the calls on your server or even a large percentage of them, that is going to be your first problem area.

Another important thing to consider is how many calls you are setting up and tearing down each second.   If you have a bunch of users dialing manually and making long calls, that will be a lot easier to handle than if you have 3 predictive dialers running against your server trying to bring up 30 calls per second.  If you are doing something like that, you will probably need to distribute accross multiple servers.