[asterisk-users] Should I go for Asterisk 1.6 ?

Barry L. Kline blkline at attglobal.net
Tue Apr 21 08:08:49 CDT 2009

--[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:

> I am going to be building a new home Asterisk server this weekend
> (Dual core Intel Atom & 2GB RAM) and would like to ask whether it
> would be worth starting fresh with a 1.6 install instead of the 1.4
> one I have at the moment ? I do not have a complicated dialplan as it
> only serves a couple of number and three extensions.  For inbound and
> outbound I am using the IAX2 protocol instead of SIP.
>
> Any thoughts or help would be most gratefully accepted.

I have been using 1.6.0.x now for a while with minor (non-critical)
issues.   If you already have a working Asterisk system, so you don't
need to replace things right NOW, why not load up 1.6?   That way you
can learn about the changes between 1.4 and 1.6 at your leisure.  For
example, if you're still using Zaptel then you will need to learn the
minimal changes required to go to DAHDI.  Once you are done testing your
server will be at the current level and can drop in as a replacement.

Barry