[asterisk-users] Here is Step by Step Example of Asterisk PBX System Install and configuration

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon Apr 20 13:45:01 CDT 2009

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Jimmy Ezell wrote:

> Perhaps my thinking on this issue is wrong.  Do we need to keep up with
> all the latest upgrades? I am thinking to install this thing and let it
> run for a long time (I would hope with very little need to touch it.)
> We are not a feature hungry shop, just looking for basic phone system
> for 60 people that works for a reasonable cost.

I run the latest version of 1.2 (is that an oxymoron?) because it is
stable and reliable on CentOS 5.3.

It has the features my customers need and we are not experiencing any
bugs*. Since it is considered obsolete, only security fixes are being
released -- no new features or bugs :)

I find customers to be very intolerant of hiccups in their telephone
systems.

* one customer is running 1.2.7 and has a memory leak that requires
restarting Asterisk every couple of months. They can't update easily
because they are running a custom hacked version of meetme.

Thanks in advance,