[asterisk-users] Zaptel to Dahdi

Joshua Kinard jkinard at closeup.org
Mon Apr 20 13:13:33 CDT 2009

Converting is actually pretty straightforward:

Bare minimum:
/etc/zaptel.conf --> /etc/dahdi/system.conf
/etc/asterisk/zapata.conf --> /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf

Any reference to ZAP/* becomes DAHDI/* in your asterisk conf files (i.e., extensions.conf).

Granted, all I use Asterisk for is a fax-to-email mechanism in conjunction with my ~18yr-old Rolm system, but I imagine more complex setups are probably not too hard to replace.  Most of it was just search & replace in the extensions.conf file.  You can also leave the older zapata.conf intact.  I believe newer Asterisk version will ignore the file's existance.  Ditto on the older zaptel.conf, since the dadhi code doesn't even reference it I believe.

The only thing I miss, is I thought Zaptel was a pretty cool name.  Like, lasers shooting everytime a call comes in or something.  "Dahdi" makes me think of angels singing everytime a call comes in now.

HTH,

--J