[asterisk-users] opening 2 and more channels on 1 SIP account

Tamer Higazi th982a at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 17 18:34:36 CDT 2009

Scenario:
I have a Asterisk PBX with a cologne chipset ISDN BRI card on it a DSP
cpu to take out the echo cancellation.

Communication is done through the chan_capi interface module.

If a call comes inside, and I forward it to the SIP account that is
registered in the module, then all DECT phone do ring. But DECT / GAP
phones are not designed for these issues.

Scenario what a commercial PBX system does which has a ISDN board.

Set up the phones:
1 - queues through system messages the dect man station on which the
cordless devices are registered to. the main station tells him the ID of
the devices and I assign through the webinterface the numbers (DDI or
MSN) to the devices.

2 - set up is done!

Call routine:

Call in!
1 - from the NT unit of my home line comes a call that goes to the PBX.
2 - The PBX which receives the call extract the number (DDI or MSN) and
compare it in the list of which phone it is (from step one)!
3 - The PBX send a message queue to the base station to check if the
phone is busy, if yes forget it. If no pass the call through. Done with
sending a message to the base that the call is passed to this device,
for that the other devices won't ring.

Call out!
1 - from the handset I make a call
2- the PBX, sends a message to the base station asking who dialed the
number.
3 - the base station gives back the id, the outgoing number is set for
that the call is passed through with the desired outgoing number.

Now Asterisk, if SIP supports it receiving and placing several calls
through one FXS port:

the agi script:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+cmd+SendText

1 - a call is placed
2 - the agi script sends a message through the sip channel and the anser
comes back, the answer is held in a variable
3 - the variable had been worked out, and the MSN or DDI is set

---

1  a call is received through the chan_capi interface
2.  the dialplan knows which id belongs to the DDI or MSN number and
calls the AGI script, which sends the message to the base station asking
if the handset is available, busy or ready to receive calls.
3. the script returns a value that is being worked out and the agi
script is called again to tell the base station that the incoming call
is for the handset id (let us say number 5), that not all phones do ring.
4. the call is forwarded to the FXS port and that's it.

This is how a usual PBX System in Germany and across europe do work. But
if SIP or Asterisk do not support receiving and placing more calls
through one FXS port and channel at the same time, then the DECT
sollution can be dropped at all for me, and I shouldn't lose more time
in this issue.

DECT itself, is a well worked out technologie that gives you the chance
to make a lot! It is programming work, not more then that.

I hope all questions are being answered.

Tamer