[asterisk-users] opening 2 and more channels on 1 SIP account

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Fri Apr 17 17:55:19 CDT 2009

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Tamer Higazi wrote:

>> On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Steve Edwards wrote:
>>
>> Impatient are we :)

> Yes you are entirely right! :)

"Patience is a virtue."

>> If so, does it have 2 "rj-11's" or 1? Since the other handset says
>> "busy" this implies it is a single line DECT base.
>>
> it has only 1 rj-11 port.
>
> ... with the DECT specification of ETSI I can send System messages where
> I can route the call from the base station to the handset direclty.

Isn't DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) the protocol
between the handset and the base? From the base on, isn't it just POTS?

> with system messages you can receive device through outgoing calling
> number and assign through ISDN a DDI or MSN number, like those
> commercial PBX. The messages can be send through a small 2 way AGI
> script.

The base has an rj-11 but is an ISDN device? I thought ISDN was rj-4[58].
If your base is ISDN shouldn't you be connecting it to an ISDN terminal
adapter instead of an ATA?

What the heck is a 2 way AGI script? To whom and from whom?

> Now, if you guys tell me that SIP isn't able to make it, to receive more
> then one calls at the same time, as well as placing, even if the base
> station has only 1 RJ11 port, then cordless phone systems aren't
> suitable at all for the asterisk PBX, which is a very sad issue.

I think I'm confused. If the base has a single 2-wire rj-11, it's a single
line POTS device regardless of how many handsets you have or the
capabilities of your ATA. The fact that you say the "not in use" handset
says "busy" supports my assumptions.

> I hope still, that SIP can manage more then one call through one
> account, if not, it is a sad thing and I have to drop the development
> for DECT for the PBX system at all.

SIP can manage multiple simultaneous calls through one account to multiple
SIP end points. But that's not what you have. As far as I can see,
Asterisk is going to see multiple handsets talking (DECTing?) to a single
POTS based base connected to an ATA as a single end point.

Thanks in advance,