[asterisk-users] T38modem in loopback mode does not work on asterisk 1.4.20.1

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Wed Apr 15 20:59:56 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Florian Hackenberger
<f.hackenberger at chello.at> wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 April 2009, Michael wrote:
>> > asterisk-1.6 with app_fax built-in
>> > Try 1.6. You'll be glad you did.
>> While I have not tried Asterisk 1.6 because I settled on Callweaver
>> at the time (which has native T38 support), I *strongly* recommend
>> going with software that has native T38 support.
>>
>> This could be Asterisk 1.6 or Callweaver.
>>
>> So +1 for the above.
>
> Thank you all for your comments. I'm unfortunately stuck with asterisk
> 1.4, because it took a considerable amount of time to patch it to be
> stable (and feature complete) enough for my requirements. Integrating
> Callweaver might be an option, however I would loose the advantage of
> easily controlling the fax call before handing it off to hylafax.
> With asterisk 1.6, is it possible to use hylafax, or would asterisk
> terminate the fax calls itself?
>
> Are there any success stories with t38modem, asterisk and hylafax?

I tried T38modem, it works nicely in local setups, but I never got it
working with our SIP provider.

As for "stable" Asterisk 1.4, we also do have it, but there's
CallWeaver on the same machine sending all fax calls to Asterisk 1.4
in T.38 passthrough (for unified billing and logging).

Hylafax has one big advantage - many desktop clients that allow easy
fax sending. It can be configured to execute custom scripts that grab
generated .tiff files and feed them to CallWeaver. Just search list
archives, I've writen detailed descriptions of this mechanism.

Regards,
Atis

--
Atis Lezdins,