[asterisk-users] __ast_read: ast_read() called with no recorded file descriptor

Mark Michelson mmichelson at digium.com
Wed Apr 8 11:26:10 CDT 2009

Greg Kennedy wrote:
> All,
>
> Im having a problem with ReceiveFax where its generating a ton of these
> messages the entire time the receivefax app is running receiving my fax.
>
> [Apr  7 22:16:06] ERROR[26918]: channel.c:2520 __ast_read: ast_read()
> called with no recorded file descriptor.
>
> Im running on Centos 5.2 with all patches.
>
> asterisk-1.6.0.9
> asterisk-addons-1.6.0.1
> dahdi-linux-2.1.0.4
> dahdi-tools-2.1.0.2
> libpri-1.4.9
> spandsp-0.0.5pre4
>
> The receivefax app works perfectly, ie i am able to receive the faxes,
> and what not, but these messages are filling up my logs. Any ideas what
> is causing them. I know i saw a message like 2-3 weeks ago about it, but
> that guy was having e1 problems as well. This is a pure sip environment
> at the moment.
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

Please see the following bug reports:

http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=14723 (About the error message)
http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=14769 (About Fax stuff)

The short answer is that it appears there are many places that call ast_read()
when they probably shouldn't. The thing is, the error message is what's new, not
the other behavior. In other words, there aren't any new problems, just a new
error message that points to problems that have been around a long time, most of
which probably aren't that big a deal to begin with.

Mark Michelson