[asterisk-users] Best Practice Advice?

David Backeberg dbackeberg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 19:58:33 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Gabriel - IP Guys
<Gabriel at impactteachers.com> wrote:
> I have a asterisk setup that is currently running on version 1.4.15 – I wish
> to upgrade or migrate this instance to the current asterisk stable,
>  1.6.0.6. It is my intention to build a FC8 box, then install asterisk from
> source, and begin to migrate over the configuration.

Just rip the band-aid off and go straight for 1.6.0.9. Do not stop at
1.6.0.6 if this is taking public SIP traffic. Also, FC10 is out. You
should probably grab that first.

>The thing is, this sounds so simple in my head, and I’ve had enough issues with asterisk, to
> know that life isn’t simple!

Read the release notes, crank up the verbose on the console, and let
it rip. Some things will break, some things will be fine, and several
things are dramatically better than they used to be in 1.4.