[asterisk-users] [Zaptel] Why no driver for PCI voice modems?

Martin asterisklist at callthem.info
Sat Apr 4 13:03:33 CDT 2009

> What makes you think anyone doesn't understand that? The problem is the
> chip on the X100P isn't made any more, and X100P cards are no longer so
> plentiful. You'll notice the price is going up. They aren't $5 any more.
>
> Several Winmodem chips are still readily available, and so are cards
> containing them. What is missing is someone putting the effort into
> making drivers for them.
>
> Steve

Yes, some time ago I actually wrote the wcfxo driver to support the
brand new revision of tigerjet chips
hiding behind Motorola, Intel, PCTEL and other brands. The biggest
problem was that the kernel 2.6
automatically would claim the card with a serial driver and the code
for reposession of the hardware didn't work.
So patching the kernel was required with kernel 2.6.

Anyways the zaptel base code is controlled by for profit corporations
and in their interest is to sell a quad port analog card with one FXO
module then have the user buy a $5 winmodem (yes, these new modems are
still ~$5). So I don't see this effort making much progress anyways.

Martin