[asterisk-users] [Zaptel] Why no driver for PCI voice modems?

Alan Lord (News) alanslists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 13:15:58 CDT 2009

Fred wrote:
> Hello
>
> Considering how cheap PCI modems are compared to even the cheapest
> PCI hardware from Digium, OpenVox, Sangoma, etc.... I was wondering
> why Zaptel can't be used with those to connect an Asterisk server to
> a POTS line for low-level use? It just seems overkill for SOHO users
> who only get a few calls a day.

Hi Fred, just purchase an X100[p] clone on ebay. I bought one last year
from a seller in the USA and it cost me about £17 (GBP) including shipping.

Using Zaptel and OSLEC it is absolutely fine.

HTH

Alan

PS - I did a quick search and here is the type of thing I mean. I have
no idea of the seller or this particular board but you get the idea I'm
sure: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220380070996