[asterisk-users] OT: Do You Know What the Problem With CDMA is?

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Fri Sep 26 04:05:26 CDT 2008

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 12:21:41 -0400, Jason Aarons \(US\) wrote:

> A lot of places you still can't get GSM in the US.....it has
> improved...but GSM 3G coverage is lacking compared to EVDO/CDMA.

which isn't usually a problem as all 3G phones i've seen also use GSM, and
the phones switch to GSM when 3G coverage isn't available.

> You start to explain about GSM and their eyes open wide as they realize
> they need a unlocked GSM phone from a electronics shop and SIM chip from

actually, if you're using a gsm/3G phone, and your carrier has a roaming
agreement with a malaysian carrier (there're 3 big ones and 1 small one,
by the way), then it shouldnt matter. of course, they'll sock roaming
charges on you.

> some company named Digi sold in 7-Eleven and some scratch off cards for
> refills using SMS.

that's just one of the three, and its a prepaid gsm card you're referring
to. you could've also picked up a celcom or a maxis prepaid card, or not
worry about that and just roam with a gsm phone.

> In reality my roaming fees for Intl are too high, I'll get a pre-paid
> in-country phone before I get phone bill for Intl roaming. My data
> connection syncs email all day long.

i hear the vodaphone 3G service hits you a fixed monthly fee for use
anywhere in the world for a data/3G connection.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)   http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/