[asterisk-users] Server Dimensioning

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Fri Sep 26 01:29:06 CDT 2008

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008, Philipp Kempgen wrote:

> Jon Weisman schrieb:
>
>> I'm planning on getting a Dell PowerEdge 1950.
>
> All I can tell is that I have bad experiences with those Dell
> PowerEdges. A standard Debian Etch install (2.6.18 kernel I think)
> didn't even have the driver to run the network interface.
> At least Dell doesn't seem to play nice with Debian.

It's not that Dell doesn't play nice with Debian, but that Debian use what
they regard as a stable kernel - which is usually relatively old and
lacking the drivers for Dells bleeding edge hardware. I've installed
Debian Woody, Sarge and Etch on various Dell hardware over the years and
there are sites out there producing Debian netinst CDs with a kernel
having the right Dell drivers supplied.

However, given the past history of problems I've seen people writing about
on this list, I'd be very suspicious of using Dells with plug-in cards.
Dells themselves are fine, but it seems there are IRQ issues with some of
their systems... (Search the archives)

Gordon