[asterisk-users] Digium training course

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sun Sep 21 21:39:19 CDT 2008

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Jared Smith <jsmith at digium.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-19 at 09:56 +0800, Craig Guy wrote:
>> I felt at the time the written portion was heavily biased towards
>> people who had done the training - in fact I would go so far as to say
>> that it was designed specifically to discriminate against people who
>> had not attended the official training.
>
> Having written a parts of the test and administered the test for the
> past couple of years, I can say that we don't purposely bias the test
> questions toward things that are taught in the Digium training classes.
> (In fact, if anything, I think we get a few more complaints from people
> about things that were on the test but weren't covered in the classes.)
> Both the practical and written portions of the test are grounded in
> real-world Asterisk use, and not just towards the training.
>

> --
> Jared Smith
> Training Manager
> Digium, Inc.

Jared,

Would it to be too much to ask for a few difficult hypothetical test
questions, and/or lab (test) scenarios?

Do they exist somewhere?  I would even pay a nominal fee for this.
Obviously not the exact same questions, but the same difficulty (but
free is better ;-))

I would go out of my way to take the exam, although I feel that in the
Asterisk world, Google reputations speak mostly for themselves...  I
have seven years of practical experience from a great many differing
systems ranging from a few POTS lines, T1s, BRIs, the US Embassy Visa
Call Center in Senegal, a call center with a DS3, and all the little
tweaks and scripts that were needed for those accomplishments.

That being said, I wouldn't mind taking a day trip and paying the
nominal fee for getting my dCAP, just to put it on my card and
websites.

I feel I am way beyond the course, but I would hate to waste a day and
the cash to fail (plus "failure is not an option")

Maybe you can make it like the HAM test, you can retake it a couple
times in one sitting if you fail, even though I got a 100% my first
try ;-)

Thanks,
Steve Totaro