[asterisk-users] How to notify an event to every user

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sun Sep 21 16:30:43 CDT 2008

On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, Olivier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got this case :
> When the last staff member is about to leave and lock offices, he would like
> to notify everybody "Offices are about to be closed" so that (s)he wouldn't
> lock anybody in.
> Which is the smartest way to do it ?
>
> I thought of either :
> 1. sending an SMS,
> 2. calling every extension 1 by 1 with a pre-recorded message,
>
> SMS is fine but it is desired that members shouldn't find "We"re about to
> close" message when they arrive in the morning.
> Calling everybody might take a long time and difficult to "tame" (as people
> forward calls here and there).
>
> Any idea ?

Arrange the building to have a master lights off switch. Push it, then
wait for the screams. This was used in a place I worked some years back.

Use the intercom/page functions on the phones you have - dial the page
button - say "Anyone left?" and if no-one screams, then turn the lights
out.

Arrange a ring-time for "night bells" - ring it. Wait for the screams.

Many ways. The simplest might just be to use a lock system that can be
opened from the inside. (alarms not withstanding)

Gordon