[asterisk-users] Cisco acquires Jabber

mitcheloc mitcheloc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 12:01:52 CDT 2008

"Cisco obviously didn't buy jabber.com engineers to implement a Cisco IM
platform for their retail clients and that they must have something much
bigger in mind."

Dean, I'm right there with you. My money is on them using it as the first
step in a larger strategy to provide a framework for applications to run on
network without needing an operating system. Think Amazon Elastic Cloud
(with P2P and presence built in) but for applications.

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 11:18 AM, Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:

>  No I know they just bought the company and not the protocol basically
> they bought engineering bums on seats.
>
> http://deancollinsblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/cisco-acquires-jabber.html
>

> Cisco obviously didn't buy jabber.com engineers to implement a Cisco IM
> platform for their retail clients and that they must have something much
> bigger in mind.
>

> You could possible see different Cisco devices communicating with each
> other (or even using an api to communicate with other manufacturers devices)
> eg, you might have an XMPP api to 'discover' appliance functionality or to
> communicate status updates.
>

> Regards,
>
> Dean Collins
> dean at cognation.net