[asterisk-users] Cisco acquires Jabber

Steve Kennedy steve-asterisk at gbnet.net
Sat Sep 20 11:46:06 CDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 12:18:42PM -0400, Dean Collins wrote:

>    No I know they just bought the company and not the protocol basically
>    they bought engineering bums on seats.
>    [1]http://deancollinsblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/cisco-acquires-jabber.ht
>    ml
>    Cisco obviously didn't buy jabber.com engineers to implement a Cisco IM
>    platform for their retail clients and that they must have something
>    much bigger in mind.
>    You could possible see different Cisco devices communicating with each
>    other (or even using an api to communicate with other manufacturers
>    devices) eg, you might have an XMPP api to 'discover' appliance
>    functionality or to communicate status updates.

Jabber.com are in some big US gov departments, these are probably just
the bodies Cisco want to get into with their UM systems. Making Cisco's
UM based on Jabber and buying the expertise probably is a wise move for
them. Also gives them interoperability with other systems ...

Then move it down into the SME market as Linksys appliance.

Steve

--
NetTek Ltd  UK mob +44 7775 755503
UK +44 20 7993 2612  /  US +1 310 857 7715  /  Fax +44 20 7483 2455
Skype/GoogleTalk/AIM/Gizmo/Mac stevekennedyuk / MSN steve at gbnet.net
Euro Tech News Blog http://eurotechnews.blogspot.com