[asterisk-users] UK call initiating party hangup control on analoghome lines

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Wed Sep 17 01:51:45 CDT 2008

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Roberts Klotins wrote:

> Hi Gordon,
>
> The test would be call your home BT line, hang up the home end and THEN
> wait for how long time the line will stay open listening to the handset
> that initiated the call.

That's exactly what I did.

> If it is the caller (call initiator) who hangs up, line is released very
> quickly.

Indeed.

> But perhaps thats what you are doing, since you say that the line is
> cleared inside 10 minutes (I have never waited that long). If I call
> from T-mobile - line is cleared in 30 sec, if I call from Vodafone - it
> stays open over 2 minutes; then I hang up Vodafone. If the call is made
> from a landline - I also have waited over 2 minutes but not 10.

I called from O2, but I'll try a call via VoIP next. ... And 5 seconds
after I hungup my BT line, then VoIP call ended. Tried it twice now - same
results. The calling phone is ended inside about 5 seconds of the analogue
line hanging up. (It's on a TDM400)

And just in-case it was some weird interaction between the outgoing
(voip) call and incoming analogur cal lon the same asterisk box, I've just
tried it with a totally indepedant VoIP outgoing path - same results. I
place an outgoing call via VoIP to my home BT line - answer it (via
a phone connected to my asterisk PBX connected to the analogue line via a
TDM400), hang that call up, then 5 seconds later the VoIP call is
terrinated.

I do remember that I used to use this to 'transfer' calls from one phone
to another - someone would phone me at my last house, I'd just hang up,
then find another phone and pick it up, but I also remember someone doing
this to me just a few weeks ago - they hung up and my call cleared and I
had to re-dial.

> I am not sure what the difference is when you order the line and tell
> about PABX, however it seems to me that if I now asked to set up my
> existing line for PABX, they might say that this is not a business line,
> therefore they can't help, mightn't they?

BT - as helpful and money grabbing as ever, alas.

Gordon