[asterisk-users] UK call initiating party hangup control on analoghome lines

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Sep 16 15:07:53 CDT 2008

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Roberts Klotins wrote:

> Thanks Don,
>
> I have looked at that page and the described problem (when asterisk does
> not detect remote (calling) party hangup) is exactly the opposite to my
> case. In my case I learnt that for BT residential analog lines the
> remote caller is entitled to hold the line open indefinitely, regardless
> whether I hang up or not. So this seems to be a feature of BT rather
> than a problem with asterisk.
>
> I do not know whether there are many countries where telco setup is
> similar.

That might be worth a posting to usenet:uk.telecom ... I've a funny
feeling this is exchange dependant and it's not the same action for all
exchanges. I can call my home BT line, answer it, then hangup and the call
is cleared inside 10 minutes (usually 2-3) then I can make an outgoing
call.

I'm told that you need to tell BT that you have a PBX on the end of the
line, but I've never done that for any analogue installation I've done.

Gordon