[asterisk-users] Setting up Asterisk to make calls using a VoIP provider and the regular phone line

logan logan04x at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 22:48:12 CDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm looking for some guidance from you guys. I know SIP well, but never got a chance to play around with Asterisk, so looking forward to this experiment.

The thing is that I'm in Canada and would like to have an Asterisk box at my place in India, which I want to be connected to a hardphone for making calls to me. The idea here is that the Asterisk box will register to a SIP provider, and since calls to North America are free via VoIP, anyone could call me through the hardphone connected to the Asterisk box (for eg, on pressing #1 Asterisk should place a call on my cell phone). Once we get this done then I would like to connect to my Asterisk box from Canada and ask it to make a call using the phoneline connected to it. This way I could place calls in India using a local phone line.

I'm really eager to play with Asterisk, so would be grateful if you folks could tell me if the above is possible (I think for sure it's possible) and what hardware I would need to accomplish it (system configuration of my Asterisk box, which hardphone I should use to connect to my Asterisk box, the device that would connect my regular telephone landline to Asterisk, etc).

Looking forward to listen from you all :).

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Hitesh