[asterisk-users] Pressing 0 to get an external line

Lee, John (Sydney) John.Lee at compuware.com
Tue Sep 9 19:38:23 CDT 2008

> The goal is to emulate traditional german PBX behaviour wich is the
play
> a stuttered "internal" dialtone after pickup and accept all internal
> extensions. If a specific "get office" digit - usually 0 - is pressed
> you get the normal dialtone. Now you can enter the external telephone
> number end get connected immediately without pressing "dial" on the
snom
> phone.

My advice is to forget about "dial 0 to get to the outside line"
mentality when using Asterisk.  However, you can easily implement "dial
0 to get to the outside line" in Asterisk but the problem is once 0 is
dialled, it is totally outside Asterisk's control.
For example, you cannot use Asterisk to bar some numbers which you don't
want users to call.

Because of the varied nature of the telephone numbers that people may
dial, I think it makes sense to get the users to press dial or send
after they have enter their number.