[asterisk-users] G722 and Asterisk 1.6

Darrick Hartman dhartman at djhsolutions.com
Thu Sep 4 21:42:12 CDT 2008

Michael Graves wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 08:48:47 -0500, Russell Bryant wrote:
>
>> Asterisk should work fine with any phone that supports that codec.
>> Personally, I have only used it with Polycom phones.  Also, again,
>> Asterisk 1.4 only supports G722 passthrough, where as Asterisk 1.6 has
>> full support.
>
> Any plans to implement G.722.1 now that it's under a royalty free
> license?

Michael,

Royalty free does not mean free.  I believe there still is an upfront
cost that Polycom is charging.  Perhaps Digium can work out some sort of
a deal now that Polycom recognizes Asterisk as a valid platform.

I'd definitely love to see it supported.  It's a great way to actually
show some improvement in voice quality compared to the 100 year old
copper technology that's in use today.

Darrick