[asterisk-users] G722 and Asterisk 1.6

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Sep 4 19:24:41 CDT 2008

Michael Graves wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 08:48:47 -0500, Russell Bryant wrote:
>

>> Asterisk should work fine with any phone that supports that codec.
>> Personally, I have only used it with Polycom phones.  Also, again,
>> Asterisk 1.4 only supports G722 passthrough, where as Asterisk 1.6 has
>> full support.
>>

> Any plans to implement G.722.1 now that it's under a royalty free
> license?

Its only G.722.1 Annex C (the 32k sample/second version) which is
royalty free, and there seem to be some funky conditions in the
licencing which may cause licence conflicts with other code. The spec in
the main body of G.722.1 (the 16k samples/second version) is not royalty
free, and that is the rather more interesting codec for most people. I
doubt G.718 or G.719 will be in any way open.

On top of that, the only open source software developer I know to have
contacted Polycom about a licence for G.722.1C has failed to get any
response after multiple tries.

Regards,
Steve